Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Why Would I Go Back to Church?

I just received an invitation to church.  Actually, an invitation 'back to church.'  It came in the mail.  It's nice.  The people on the card appear to be people I would enjoy joining on a Sunday morning (they are, after all, smiling). 

Funny thing, though ~ I haven't left the church. 

Many, however,  have and this card stirred my thoughts of them.  Surely some of them got the invitation as well.  I wonder if it bothers them that they got invited back to church by a postcard rather than a neighbor who cares deeply about them? 

Perhaps it hurts.  Perhaps it annoys.  Perhaps the nice card caught their attention.  Perhaps they explored the card; wondering if the church was worthy of their attendance, their return.

Would I go 'back to church' based on this card and the invitation it extended?

Hmmm . . .

They offer upbeat music and relevance (and, of course, refreshments).  Sound like a 'Friday Down Town' to me or a Saturday at the park . . . This, of course may be good.  It may be just what the doctor ordered.

I suspect the church must provide more.  I suspect the church must provide these 'exiles' with a sense of God's Immanence and Transcendence.  A sense of the 'awe' and 'majesty' associated with God (Transcendence).  And a sense of celebration, love and thankfulness associated with God;  who clothed Himself in Humanity so that we might rightly relate to Him (Immanence). 

This mysterious combination reveals rightly what and who we are: A people gathered to humbly celebrate the powerful presence of the One who has done for us that which we are unable (and oftentimes unwilling) to do for ourselves.

I think I may go back to church this week.  After all, they went to all the trouble of calling me 'neighbor.'

Celebrating His Presence!
Biz

No comments:

Post a Comment