Tuesday, March 13, 2012

partly thought through thoughts on living well and desiring rightly

I turn 43 today.  Not old by many standards; one foot in the grave by some.  Statistically speaking I have already expended over half the years allotted to me, on average.  Yes.  The male species in America has an average life expectancy of about 75 years.  Of course some live much longer others die much earlier - thus the average.

I wondered this morning, while spending some time in the Word, what will the balance of my life be worth when it is done?  Will I be weighed and 'found wanting,' as it were.  Or, will I be assessed and found exceeding all expectations and hopes?  Perhaps I will fall somewhere in between.

The last day of my 42nd year was spent with my family at the Indian River County Fair.  Fun place for an adult, more fun for a kid.  During the course of the evening I found myself riding the rides with my kids and their friends.  At one point my son, Luke, and I rode the Zipper together.  The Zipper is, as are most fair rides, a rickety old piece of equipment in which you are strapped in for 'safety' then hurled through the air at speeds that exceed the equipment's capacity (or so it would seem) as you are twrilled between all four points of the compass.  Did I say fun?

I wonder, what will I be doing on the last day of my 74th year (If I am blessed to live that long)?  Not sure.  But here is what I know.  If I have managed to live a life of integrity wherein I love God, my family and others before I consider my own selfish desires, then it will be a life in which I will take pride.  Perhaps on that day, I will be with my family at the Indian River County Fair, watching - not riding, the same pieces of equipment strap my grand kids in for safety just as they did to me and my son last night?

Okay, not the most profound blog in the world.  Just some musings from a man  who has lived nuch of his life and hopeful for the portion yet to be lived. 

You know, we are pretty fortunate.  The life span for for males in Mozambique is about 38 years, according wikipdia.

Here's to living well and desiring rightly!!

Biz

1 comment: